Thursday, June 14, 2012

Mexico 2012! {Cancun, Riviera Maya}

My last post was about a trip down South, well this is about a trip even further South to Mexico just over 2 weeks ago! (Like I said, we sure do get around.)

It was the first time we used the new International Terminal at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. I took a few pictures of this sparkling new terminal, it is bright and shiny and rather pleasant. I thought I'd share some interesting facts on "our" airport that I thought were quite interesting:
  • Since 1998, Hartsfield-Jackson has been the busiest passenger airport in the world.
  • Since 2005, Hartsfield-Jackson has been the busiest operations airport in the world.
  • Hartsfield-Jackson serves 150 U.S. destinations and more than 75 international destinations in 50 countries.
  • Hartsfield-Jackson has the tallest air traffic control tower in North America (398 feet or 121 meters) and is the fourth tallest in the world.
  • Hartsfield-Jackson averages more than 250,000 passengers a day.
  • On average, there are almost 2,500 arrivals and departures daily.
  • Atlanta is within a two-hour flight of 80 percent of the United States population.

We celebrated Alex's 5th Birthday the day after we arrived in Mexico and of course we took a few small presents for him to open on the day (while his main present waited for him at home, it has training wheels!). As it turned out it Star Wars all the way - he is currently besotted with that stuff! I'm in love with the picture of him with his Star Wars Encyclopedia!! Wink-wink!

We had some rainy weather during our stay, so I didn't get to take my camera out and about that much - for fear of being surprised by a sudden downpour. The rain didn't stop us from enjoying the pool or the beach. One day we were taking a dip in the sea when suddenly the rain came down - it was actually quite nice! (I was relieved that I hadn't taken my camera with me to the beach.)

You'll see a picture of Ben's purple toe - that was not a drunken accident but rather the result of his foot meeting a rock in the ocean. Ouch! At first we thought it was broken, so that night we had a few tequilas (each) to make it feel better. But it improved very quickly, so it must "just" be a very bad sprain!

I love the picture of Ben in my Papa's leather hat - it was like having Opa with us on our holiday! We all miss him so much.

The resort has a lovely garden and some very interesting sculptures in it - I had fun taking a few photos of those. And of course Alex wanted a picture or two of the coconuts!!

As usual we had a lovely family time in Mexico and we took home many wonderful memories. I'm surprised Alex didn't develop webbed toes and fingers - he was in the water constantly and totally in his element.


Enjoy the pictures!



Brand new International Terminal




Star Wars Birthday Boy











No comments:

Post a Comment